|Anthony M. Kassir, M.D.|
About Anthony M. Kassir, M.D.
Dr. Kassir is a Doctor of Medicine (M.D.), board-certified psychiatrist, Diplomate of the American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology, Fellow of the American Psychiatric Association, and faculty of the California Institute for Short-Term Dynamic Psychotherapy. He also serves on the Executive Council of the Orange County Psychiatric Society. He is licensed by the Medical Board of California, possessing a Physician's and Surgeon's Certificate from that Board.
Pursuant to his many years of specialized training in psychotherapy, well beyond that afforded most psychiatrists, Dr. Kassir is recognized internationally as a leading ISTDP psychotherapist.
Please read more about his specialties, care philosophy, testimonials, and insurance policies below. You may also wish to view an abbreviated curriculum vitae.
In the Spotlight
Dr. Kassir invites you to peruse the following "spotlighted" items.
- HealthyMinds.org: Mental Health Info from the APA
- Healthcare.gov: A useful new site on finding insurance, healthcare reform, and other topics.
- Mental Health America (MHA)
- MedlinePlus: High quality health information from the NIH.
- Depression and Bipolar Support Alliance (formerly NDMDA)
- DBSA's Online screening for depression, mania, and anxiety
- Anxiety Disorders Association of America
- Children and Adults with ADHD (CHADD)
- National Alliance for the Mentally Ill
- Patient Literature Library: high quality handouts on many health issues
... and more links.
"I don't need a psychiatrist!" What is a psychiatrist? What kinds of problems require psychiatric care? Why do some people hesitate to see a psychiatrist? Answers to these questions and more can be found in this document.
"My experience was unlike any therapy I have ever undergone and I'm thankful for something so effective, so different, so life-changing."
"Upon starting with Dr. Kassir, my diagnosis was more accurate, my treatment more specific, and my progress was significant."
"Dr. Kassir was professionally versed, exacting in practice, and compassionately driven. To my mind, this excellence is a measure of his commitment to the discipline of psychiatry and to his clients."
"I found Dr. Kassir to be intelligent, professional, caring, encouraging and non-judgmental."
"I would recommend him without reservation to anyone who has what seems like an insurmountable problem, who has tried other treatment and felt it was ineffective, but who has the will to take it on anyway. Nothing this effective is gained easily by either doctor or patient, and Dr. Kassir proved to be a coach well up to the task."
"Dr. Kassir is one of the finest psychiatrists in Orange County. He is a compassionate, empathetic and dedicated physician." "I am confident that you could not be in better hands."
Read more testimonials about Dr. Kassir.
People deserve good medical care. I aim to provide patients with the highest quality of psychiatric services, helping them reach their goals in an effective and rapid fashion, while giving them the time and compassionate attention they deserve. Read more about Dr. Kassir's care philosophy.
Treatment of a wide variety of problems including:
- Mood Disorders (e.g. depression, bipolar disorder, etc.)
- Anxiety Disorders (e.g. panic attacks, generalized anxiety, etc.)
- Adult Attention Deficit Disorders (ADHD)
- Disorders unique to women (e.g. postpartum depression, PMDD, etc.)
- Those characterized by difficulties in relationships, self-defeating behavior, conflict avoidance, problems dealing with feelings in a productive fashion, and other "personality" problems that prevent one from reaching one's full potential and satisfaction in life.
Treatment modalities include:
- Specific psychotherapies, also known as "talk therapies." These include Davanloo’s Intensive Short-Term Dynamic Psychotherapy (D-ISTDP), Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy (CBT), and other modalities. Dr. Kassir's training in psychotherapy far surpasses that received by most psychiatrists.
- Psychopharmacology (i.e., medication if needed)
Most of my patients use their medical insurance to see me. Patients are encouraged to check with their insurance company for coverage of out-of-network providers. I give patients a statement they can submit to their insurance company, if they wish, for reimbursement. Please read this important information about insurance. You will also find information about Mental Health Parity and Healthcare Reform on Dr. Kassir's insurance page.
Aliso Viejo Office
See map in Google Maps or view directions.
120 Vantis, Suite 540
Aliso Viejo, California 92656
Read more about this location.
Dr. Kassir is in the office Tuesday through Friday. Daytime and evening hours are available by appointment.
You are welcome to peruse the Patient Education resources or useful links to other web resources provided on this website. Please familiarize yourself with our Disclaimer and Terms of Service.
Rating Scales, Charts, and Other Items
The following items are provided for the convenience of new or existing patients.
- Dr. Kassir's Top Ten Tips for Improving Sleep (Anthony M. Kassir, M.D.)
- Dr. Kassir's Principles of a Healthy Diet (Anthony M. Kassir, M.D.)
- Mood chart (DBSA)
- M-QIDS: Modified Quick Inventory of Depressive Symptomatology (Dr. Kassir, from QIDS-SR, Rush et al)
- Mood Disorder Questionnaire (Hirschfeld et al)
- Adult ADHD Self Report Scale Symptom Checklist (WHO Workgroup on Adult ADHD)
- Consent form to Release and Obtain Information (Anthony M. Kassir, M.D.)
- New patients: After speaking with Dr. Kassir by phone, you may be asked to download, print, and complete these new patient forms. These forms are provided specifically for new patients and are password protected. You will need Adobe Reader to view and print the forms.
Disclaimer and Terms of Service
Please note: By using this website, you agree to our Disclaimer and Terms of Service.